This post covers how to backup MyBB, and how to restore the backup you made earlier. The methods below do not require SSH or extensive technical knowledge. If you can navigate through options then you can follow my steps easily.
CPanel is one of the most popular web hosting control panels and it’s what we use throughout this how to.
Backup MyBB in several ways
There are two things you want to backup that we will cover:
It’s good practice to backup database and files regularly because you never know when you will need it. Having several copies are a good idea also because files can become corrupt.
Create a database backup with the built in MyBB database backup tool
Note: this method only does backup of database, and does not do a file backup
- Navigate to Home » Database Backups » Backups
- Click Select All.
- Customize your backup with options on the right. Options depend on what you need. Usually a GZIP Compressed, Download, Structure and Data are safe choices.
- Click Perform Backup.
Create a database and file backup with CPanel
Use phpMyAdmin to create database backup with CPanel
- Login to phpMyAdmin through CPanel then select the DB you want to backup
- Click the export tab. Default options should be fine.
- Click Go.
That’s it for your DB backup. Easy, right? Now let us move on to the file backup.
Use File Manager within CPanel to create a file backup
- Click on File Manager within CPanel then navigate to folder that contains your forum.
- Right click on the folder then select Compress.
- Unless you can uncompress other types of files, choose Zip Archive.
- Click Compress File(s).
Your files will be in the folder that the parent folder of the forum. For example, if my forum was in /root/forum then my backup file would be in /root/ for later download.
Create a file backup with FTP
Feel free to create a backup with your favorite FTP program. We are not covering this method of file backup because it’s painfully slow and can get screwed up. It’s better to backup with CPanel and save on the server for later download as a compressed file.
Restore MyBB with your backup
Restoring a database backup with phpMyAdmin
- Make sure you’re viewing the database you need to restore then click on Import tab.
- Browse to your backup database.
- Click Go.
If you get an SQL error such as:
#1050 – Table ‘mybb_adminlog’ already exists ”
Make sure you drop all tables in the database prior to importing. Then try importing again.
Simple use your favorite FTP program or the built in file manager in CPanel to upload the contents of your file backup to the appropriate folder.